MeseCraft A blocky survival game.

New Players, and Ho Population Growth

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    amicus1
    Participant

Over the past week alone, I’ve welcomed four or five new players. In the spirit of community, and also because it’s the most developed road from spawn (and goes directly past my base), I’ve been directing them to Ho. However, there’s not much unclaimed real estate around Ho that’s not claimed by Kiopy or myself, or completely boxed in by jungle trees. Is there a better place for new players to set up?

komodo
    Participant

I think I was discussing setting up a new spawn point for players with someone recently. I just wanted to mention it to @odie first since he invested a lot of time to the current spawn point in the stable world. Maybe we can add a road or rail to the original spawn point once we move to the new one.

I think the savannah is a bit too hard for new players anyways. Savannah slimes are super mean.

Kiopy7
    Participant

You were talking with me, as suggested it, and their is actually a town which Odie and I had looked at awhile back as a new spawn called Bowwhich. You can ask Odie or me in game for the cords as I don’t want it to be griefed to much before you look at it.

odie
    Participant

The Savannah Slime is indeed a challenge for new players. However, I think zombies will be almost as big a challenge to a new spawn. At least until sufficient lighting is provided at the new spawn. If there are not enough players in bed or AFK at night, the temptation to step out of a safe hiding place during the night is enormous. Especially at the beginning where everything is still missing and you are not yet clear about when and where you have to expect what kind of threat.

As for moving the entry point for new players: That’s fine from my side

…although the development of Ael Post has already been partially adapted to the fact that Ael Post is the spawn point. On the other hand, rumors of a well-developed village some distance away might encourage new players to travel and discover some more things that have already been built.
    However, an overland route would probably lead through the jungle and at least I still have respect for poisoned slime. But maybe a generous pilot with a helicopter can be chartered for a few apples. 🙂
    As for a rail connection to Ael Post I have also thought about it. AlexGIF has already started to build a rail line west of Ael Post. On the one hand, I had thought so far of a small terminus in Ael Post between the house with the tips for mobile users and the lower church. (By the way: This is one of the reasons why the western city wall is progressing so slowly. I’m not sure yet with which method I want to lead rails through the city wall and on the other hand keep zombies away with the city wall. There are different approaches).
    On the other hand, I thought of a (further?) station outside the city wall, for example, between my helicopter tower and the city wall. There would be not only enough space for several tracks and switches but also for more buildings … like market stands to sell an overpriced coke or a frankfurter to people passing through. (Yes, I recently rode the railroad). This station could then later be enclosed by an extension of the city wall. (That an extension of the city wall could be necessary one day I had already considered. But not that this could become an issue even before the first city wall is completed. 🙂 )

komodo
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve been thinking maybe we need a guide NPC or need to give better directions in the beginning of the game. It is not really very clear to new players how to survive and dying quickly can be a frustrating and scary experience that might make some players bounce.

carzomg
    Participant

There are many areas near Ael Post (spawn) that new players can build. If they use existing unprotected villages as temporary bases while deciding on a permanent location, they can become familiar with the server and enjoy their time here without adding to their bone chest collection. When multiple players cluster in one area it’s more likely to put a target on your build for trolls. It is a difficult server which discourages newbies.

carzomg
    Participant

Many servers have their spawn points inside a building that has basic supply chests to equip new players. Maybe a market chest near an instruction board and a reasonable coin starter bank. T.H.R.I.V.E. village day market  buildings usually have some basic items in adjoining chests. New sociable players don’t normally have problems as the regulars will guide them along but we should also consider making things more user friendly for the loners.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by carzomg.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by carzomg.
    humblericerf20
    Participant

Hi, I’m a new player to Mesecraft and would like to join the server you are talking about, can you please give a name? Also how do you fill the thirst bar? Drinling water bottles doesn’t work for some reason.

komodo
    Participant

Hi @humblericerf20,

They are talking about the MeseCraft.com Survival Server (#1 Stable)

Drinking water should fill the thirst bar. But you need to use canteens or juice. Water bottles would be a good idea too. Will try to add that soon.

humblericerf20
    Participant

Thanks, @komodo. Found the server. I was drinking from this glass bottle, but if that doesn’t work I will build the cantina.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.