A quick feedback on the beta (freshwater) server.

Home Forums MeseCraft Discussion General A quick feedback on the beta (freshwater) server.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    odie
    Participant

I see the newly implemented freshwater rivers as a real enrichment for the landscapes. Also the fact that these rivers can freeze over. It’s just a pity that the freshwater springs have a range of only 2 blocks on the horizontal plane which makes building in terraced fields rather unattractive.
    I also wondered if it would be a good idea if the players were dependent on fresh water for survival. Maybe this is a way to increase the difficulty without using more dangerous monsters.
    Maybe the recipe for salt production from salt water by boiling could be changed to produce fresh water as well as salt.
    Or implement an additional distillery furnace right away? 🙂

Ps: If I remember correctly, mining a frozen freshwater spring does not drop ice.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

komodo
    Participant

Thought about this before. Fresh water, but seems challenging as most new players dont understand the difference.

We’ve also considered water purification before, but didn’t do it because of that too. Maybe these can be implemented with a chance to cause sickness or thirst amplification (e.g. salt water). Yeah boiling water recipes may work.  Noted.

odie
    Participant

I was informed about the fact that I need water to survive on Sara’s Simple Survival Server via the in-game chat when I started playing. Otherwise, I would have died of thirst and perhaps lost interest in the server. Someone who doesn’t know Mesecraft at all doesn’t necessarily first think that a solution to the thirst problem can be found in the crafting guide (although from the point of view of a more experienced Mesecraft player it actually seems quite obvious).
    I remember a situation on my first visits to Sara’s where one night I was stuck in one of those little village huts and was besieged on three sides by demons and zombies. That was shortly after I had found out that it would not work in the long run to feed myself only on apples. This situation was quite scary because my armor and weaponry was on the level of the Stone Age and on the other hand I had found that I could attack the monsters through a pane of glass. I wasn’t sure if these attacks through the glass wouldn’t work from the other direction. Also, I did not know if zombies or demons would still have a few tricks in store of which I could not know at this time. I feared that demons could possibly go through walls or glass from time to time, or that zombies would learn to open doors over time.
    You’d need some strong nerves to search the crafting guide for drinks and drinking water containers in such a situation. (Consider the noises angry demons and startled zombies make). And after daybreak, I had to deal with the problem of solid food again.
    Here are two suggestions of what could be done to alleviate the situation for new players:
    First, you could add a server message offering a solution to the thirst problem. (Didn’t we have this before?).
    Secondly, (perhaps additionally) it might be possible to implement an easy-to-make document (possibly made out of leaves and sticks) that tells new players about the ins and outs of Mesecraft. This way, the difference between salt water and drinking water could also be explained.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

komodo
    Participant

Clues that are contextual (derived from gameplay) are always the best, but an NPC like a Guide or a guide book might be able to spawn with the player. This can give tips to start off with and would be a reasonable compromise.

Kiopy7
    Participant

Here is a better idea: Make a new house in spawn where you might find an unkillable NPC (By you or mobs) which if right click it, it shows you questions which you can ask it. (Also, funny thing, but I caught on to the thirst thing right away and knew that there must be some kind of way to make a drinking container of some sorts. So, maybe only about 50% of players would need help.)

mesecraft
    Keymaster

The guide NPC is an idea I really like but I haven’t found any mods that can allow for discussions. Does anyone know of any? Maybe we can ask in the Minetest forums.

But in Terraria, there are NPCs you can talk and trade with. They even have quests. Would love to implement a similar system like that. That one server has a pretty good system like that but I can’t remember the name of it right now.

Kiopy7
    Participant

It’s called Yourland

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.