New map no markets

Home Forums MeseCraft Discussion General New map no markets

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    keihdra
    Participant

Not sure if this is intentional or what, but the new map seems to have no Kings markets or Night markets. Every town I have found has a regular chest in the place where the markets should be. Not a fan of this.

mesecraft
    Keymaster

I wasn’t aware of this. I’ll try to look into it when possible.

keihdra
    Participant

Figured as much. Just wanted to let you know. Thanks

Kiopy7
    Participant

It seemed to be happening to me too. Single-player seems fine though.

mesecraft
    Keymaster

i need to enable these markets in the world settings, or better yet, enable them by default. weird theyre not in the game settings… they should be for MeseCraft. need to check this tonight.

Kiopy7
    Participant

ok

mesecraft
    Keymaster

I added them to the global game config, but they should have been working already.

keihdra
    Participant

I’ve done a bit more exploring. Markets are still not showing in villages that had already been explored, nor in ones that are newly discovered. Not sure that I get a vote, but I say burn it all and start a new map. Markets are a key item that really aids the game.

Kiopy7
    Participant

No! Do not start a new map please. Markets are really only used by a few people, mostly Keihdra, so restarting the map just to fulfill their expectations is not a good way to go. If you really want markets, Unreal can place them down for you manually.

If you haven’t noticed also, we’ve actually been trying to find a way to get rid of markets as they are a little OP and not a key asset to the game.

So please, do not restart the server, again.

keihdra
    Participant

LOL! Now I know how to get a rise out of Kip! I agree that the markets can be a bit OP, but I’d argue that they add essential value for those of us that know how to use them.

keihdra
    Participant

And adding them in just a few places defeats the value for me. I want to know that wherever I go I am able to restock with needed items. Being able to sell to anyone anywhere is what makes it fun.

Kiopy7
    Participant

Just discover the secret of flight.

dcmenche
    Participant

I like the markets! Even if you nerf their ability to function as a poor man’s void chest, I like having a server-wide official market system. They’re also a good reason to settle down within easy travel of a settlement. I like settlements but I think they should become more interesting and helpful, not less, as hubs of activity in their general area.

Maybe just as a quick fix to the missing markets, NPC traders could sell markets? Maybe they should be quite expensive, as markets are rare, special blocks and you only need one in the settlement. I don’t know how hard this would be to implement, but perhaps the traders could only offer this if there isn’t already a market within a certain distance.

senordmt
    Participant

i agree that the settlements, towns, villages, whatever are something which are cool and fun to see, but honestly, which experienced players really bother with them? for what to get some apples and wood armor? they’re great in the beginning, but after you’ve upgraded a bit they’re not worth a visit anymore. i think the markets being “OP” as mentioned here but which could make the towns actually useful and worth visiting, even for experienced players is great. i admit i don’t understand the markets, and it would be great if someone would write a little concise in game book to explain them – keihdra, maybe you’re up for that task/challenge?

another thing i was thinking days ago was, because of the generally lame loot in the villages (although i gotta admit, mapping kits and binoculars are sometimes there and great finds, or maybe that was shipwrecks? that makes sense), more experienced players generally don’t bother with them, i’m assuming, but if the chests contained valuables, you like, things people would actually store in chests, it would make visiting and searching through the towns more appealing. it could be rare like the rare things found while mining, but also not in quantities that you would come to rely on them in the game for something like, let’s say, oil, but it would definitely make it worth checking them out. same with the shipwrecks, really shipwrecks only have that kind of mostly lame loot?

more variety and more expensive items in the various generated structures to explore would make a better game. why go explore a dungeon or a temple etc for relatively cheap things which u can easily get elsewhere or craft, or which you really don’t need unless you’re a day one player, like stone swords and wood armors etc.

keihdra
    Participant

The markets serve two purposes as I see it. One, to give the server a p2p trading system. Menchers mentioned above that this gives reason to settle within range of a village. The ability to trade with and interact with other players is the reason I don’t just play offline. I have used this aspect of the market to great success selling everything imaginable and have bought hundreds of items from others also. A better explanation to how to use the markets is somewhere else on this forum.

Two, Menchers called it a poor man’s void chest. I call the void chest a tiny market. The use of the inventory to store items cannot be underestimated. When I moved from Himinnfjell to Yggdrasil, I had thousands of items in the market. If not for the ability to move items in mass, I probably would have quit the game after Himinnfjell burned. Because of the ability to move all my storage in one go, I was able to build something that exceeded what the first was. Exploration will always be a part of a game like this, but the ability to store your treasures in the market, as a kind of safety deposit box, while you are out exploring greatly enhances the experience.

Just my two cents….

andyiii
    Participant

I do like the market, but I wish there was more action. Having it be player-only seems a little odd, mainly because there aren’t enough players to approach anything like “real” prices. Perhaps if there were some NPC trades going on semi-randomly that could set some basic prices for starting items. It could also give an outlet for some items other players might not need repeatedly (one pair of binoculars is probably enough). It would be nice if the existing trader NPCs came more in line with the market in terms of prices. Since they were made when gold ingots were the only currency, the value doesn’t line up very well. I’d like to see traders that didn’t price gouge so much. It might be helpful to come up with an algorithmic way to determine “real value” of items. Something that takes into account rarity, effort to collect items, usefulness to players, and effort to craft. Then the NPC traders could pick a random mark-up (e.g., 15% to 100%) and charge that many coins.

Side note: I’ve still never seen natural mithril, despite having dug down to the nether by hand (well, technically pickle).

Kiopy7
    Participant

There is no actual natural mithril ore yet, you can however find it in loot chests like shipwrecks and ancient chest.

mesecraft
    Keymaster

There should be. I’m pretty sure this is a bug. Thanks for the response Kip. Very helpful!

keihdra
    Participant

Any news on the markets? Maybe they’ll get added? No they won’t? Just wondering….

mesecraft
    Keymaster

I just pulled the recent updates into the stable server and rebooted it. Can you test it now and see if you can get a market to appear?

keihdra
    Participant

I’ve checked a couple of villages that had already been discovered, no markets where there should be. I’ll look to see if I can find an undiscovered village and see what it looks like. More distressing though is that it took all the chairs, kitchen, and bathroom furniture and disappeared them. Most distressing is that my magic mirror is gone too! 😥

keihdra
    Participant

Found an undiscovered village, same thing – no markets. Should have had both.

mesecraft
    Keymaster

Ok ill get it give me another couple days. Prettu sure i know what it is. But not sure why it didnt fix it

mesecraft
    Keymaster

If you feel like doing another journey, i’ve implemented a short term fix for it on the server that should enable them.
    i had to enable them in the world.mt world file for some reason. they should be enabled through the game settings though, but it’s not working. You can give it a try now, i think they’d appear now.

keihdra
    Participant

Still not there. Old villages and new ones the same….

mesecraft
    Keymaster

😕 wtf

Kiopy7
    Participant

Try teleporting extremely 10,000 blocks away and look for a village.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.