weather mod

Home Forums MeseCraft Discussion Suggestions weather mod

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mistere
    Participant

I know that weather mods have caused some lag in the past. in Centeria, I have installed Runs’ climatez mod. it is indeed lite and lagfree as far as I can tell. I had to modify it to preent rain on the moon

odie
    Participant

The weather mod is really an enrichment. Also that the headwind is noticeable when moving. But there is one thing that struck me. The slowing down of movement is especially noticeable when wearing heavy armor. It seems that the slowdown caused by the wind is greater in relation to the speed of movement. I think it should be the other way round, or at least the slowing down should be in proportion to the speed of movement. Moreover, the effect of the wind is also noticeable in shot rooms and in caves.
    Can anything be done about this?

komodo
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about these too. The feedback is helpful. There should not be wind in caves. Expect some tweaks to the weather system soon based on this feedback.

odie
    Participant

I forgot to mention that I had this experience on the Mesecraft Server #1.
    And there is something else interesting that I noticed:
    Gold armor, for example, can make you so slow that you might think about wearing a lighter amour for ‘everyday’ and traveling and only put on the gold armor when you go somewhere where you expect real trouble. I also see this as a valuable asset. However, this consideration has only occurred to me since the weather mod was installed.

And as for the feedback: If good modifications can be made to the game, it’s also to my benefit. 🙂

One last thing I wanted to pick up on because I think it would be so important, at least with the current modification, to maintain the high level of detail in Mesecraft. And that would be the wind effect in shot rooms. I realize that the definition of enclosed spaces and wind protected areas must be highly difficult or impossible. Therefore, I have been thinking about a reasonably elegant intermediate solution.
    My first ideas were not to let the movement modification take effect on common building materials such as wood and processed stone. Or to define protected areas as windless. However, this does not seem very elegant to me as a solution. If, however, it were possible with reasonable effort to allow the wind effect to occur only on materials that occur as substrates in the surface biomes, this would have the side effect that deliberately built roads would have a real advantage in terms of movement.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

komodo
    Participant

I like the idea of making armors slow down players more. It already does it. I’ve noticed people in wood armor passing me when I was wearing iron armor before. But this mechanic could be amplified. I like the idea too.

As for the wind, I looked at the settings for it and tried to adjust it, but it didn’t seem to work that well. I thing it feels odd and I don’t like the implementation of it affecting player speeds. So, let’s just disable it. Wind is still in the game, so it should affect snow and rain particles.

I’ve already updated the game and all three servers to no longer have wind affecting player speed.

mistere
    Participant

perhaps the wind can affect a fork of the sailboat mod?

Kiopy7
    Participant

I think it’s lightning set my house on fire

komodo
    Participant

I’m still not convinced that this mod rains/snows enough as it should. Might still need to look into using something else for the rain and snow. But there is a boat mod that already uses the wind system from this mod. If you read the documentation it mentions it. Requires mobkit.

Kiopy7
    Participant

No, I actually haven’t seen rain or snow anywhere in the world

komodo
    Participant

Another problem to fix then.

cora
    Participant

I could make a weather mod some time with about 0 network lag (a couple packets to turn downfall on/off for a player, otherwise radio silence).

I just recently fixed weather in mineclone which could probably be adapted very easily since its more or less just particle spawners. Would just have to rip out the skybox and nether dust stuff which is rather mcl specific ig ^^

cora
    Participant

Btw. a good way to analyze mods causing packet spam as we like to call it is

minetest –info 2>&1 |grep TOCLIENT_

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.